The biography of Steve jobs, one of the co-founders of Apple Computers. First off, I appreciate that Isaacson has tried to give a whole picture including the negatives of Jobs and Jobs has not objected to it. Being a very detailed account of the life of Steve jobs, shown from all dimensions, this book is a gripping read inspite of its length. What a character! I think it might be more appropriate to see what one can learn from his life portrayed through this book, than analyse the book in depth.
- Be passionate about your work
- Be focused
- Simplify, Simplify, Simplify
- Surround yourself with A players
- Shun mediocrity; Be obsessively perfect
- Build great products
- Try to build great companies
- Do not chase the money
- Market research is not necessary
If I had asked people, they would have wanted ‘faster horses’ – Ford
Customers do not know what they want till we show them. Alexander Graham Bell
did not do market research before inventing the telephone – Jobs
- Do away with B players, ruthlessly
- Never hesitate to pause, rewind and restart from scratch if you are not convinced about the way the product is shaping
- If you do all the above, it doesn’t matter to lie, cheat, manipulate, backstab, neglect your family, belittle your colleagues/subordinates, insult people. In other words, the above qualities override all your negative traits.
Must-read for entrepreneurs/ wannabe entrepreneurs.